Steps to complete this assignment
NOTE: Begin a new thread to post. Read all the instructions carefully. There is also a short accompanying video you can watch.
1) First, begin by re-reading these two articles:
2) Next, pick any state that seems interesting. In the video, I mentioned that it was interesting to me that states like IL, NY (and other northeastern states) were losing populations. So I might, for example, pick NY.
3) Then, identify any big city from your state of choosing. For example, in NY, I chose Manhattan.
4) Then, go to google, and look up which county the city you have chosen is in. For example, Manhattan is in Queens county, NY.
5) Then, go to this link:
Make sure ‘Charts’ is selected. Then in the first row of dropdowns, input the state and the county which the city of your choice are located in. Next, select all the decades available (screenshot below).
Now click, ‘Create Chart’. Here’s what mine looks like:
6) Don’t panic at all the lines you see! Breathe.
7) Now, point your cursor over any of the colored lines you see, to see the extent of migration by age group and year.
8) Now, paste a screenshot of your chart in your discussion. To do this, open MS Powerpoint (or whatever equivalent you are using). Then, click the ‘PrtScr’ button on your keyboard (Mac users will have to look this up). Then, on a blank power point slide, right click and paste the screenshot. Then, right click the image, and ‘save as picture’ and save it to your computer. Then click the ‘Embed image’ sign on your discussion board, and click ‘Embed Image’–> Canvas, navigate to your file and upload it here.
9) Next, answer the following questions:
- What is being represented on the x-axis?
- What is being represented on the y-axis?
- What do the different colors represent?
- What information do the lines give you? (one sentence)
Scroll to the bottom of the page, and enter your county and state in the dropbox. Insert a screenshot (mine is below):
11) Now, with both pieces of data (from steps 8 and 10), describe the demographic changes that have occurred in your county (in about 250-300 words)
- Make sure to describe the changes by age, year, and race
- Include any other information you think is necessary
- Look up your county on google, use any additional sources of information you can find (NOT wikipedia) and try and explain why you are seeing the changes you are seeing
- Make sure to include a link to your source at the end of your description
- Address what surprised you and why
The assignment concludes here.